Tuesday, September 19, 2006

3 Books

After many days I went to my favourite bookshop Strand Book Stall, last Friday, and purchased 3 books:
  • Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found, by Suketu Mehta

  • On Beauty by Zadie Smith

  • Saturday by Ian McEwan
All the books are in paperback edition. I have heard a lot about Maximum City, and has been highly recommended to me by my dear friend. The hardback edition was quite costly, but now it has come in paperback edition, but still at Rs. 395/- it is quite costly. Hope it will be good read.

The book which I am reading at present is White Teeth by Zadie Smith. I quite like this book. On Beauty is her third book and was shortlisted for the Man Booker Prize.

I also wanted to purchase The Outsider by Albert Camus, but its price was more than Rs. 500/-. Maybe I should have purchased it, instead of On Beauty and Saturday. I have heard so much about Camus, but have never read him.


The book which I wanted to purchase The Complete Calvin and Hobbes (3 Volumes in a Slipcase) which was at Rs. Rs.4850 is way beyond my modest means. As I was paying for the above three books, a lucky lady had purchased Complete Calvin and Hobbes and I overheard salesman informing her that it is the last copy of the set. What a pleasant surprise that Mumbai city has Calvin and Hobbes fans. Well, it is very very difficult not to fall in love with the Calvin and the Hobbes. For the time being I will have to be content with my two collections of C&H, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes and The Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes.

And the book which I will be gifting to myself on my birthday, which is in the first week of October, is Out of My Comfort Zone: The Autobiography, by Steve Waugh. This is now available in paperback and the price of the book at Rs. 565 is quite affordable for me. Steve Waugh has always been my favourite cricket player. After his retirement from international cricket, I have stopped following cricket matches. In my opinion, there was no one like Steve Waugh.

Cross-posted from my other blog, Raju's world

No comments: