Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Too good reads

I recently had two good reads. Let me tell you about them.

The first book was `Six Suspects', by Vikas Swarup, who has earlier written Q & A, which was adopted for movie Slumdom Millionaire. Six Suspects is his second book. I had happened to see a person, for whom I had great admiration, reading this book, and went out and purchased a copy for myself.Well, the story is about a bartender girl who is shot dead, in presence of several people, by son of a minister. And this man is in turn shot dead at a party he has thrown, to celebrates his acquittal of the murder charge. The plot is reminiscent of Jessica Lal murder case, which was in news some years ago. The book made for very good read. The flow of the narration was very smooth and was on track. I read most of the book while commuting to work and finished it on a Friday night at around 1:30 a.m. Well, I must say I was a little disappointed by the end, I wish it could have been different. Anyway, it kept me engrossed for several days.

The second book is `The Unnatural Causes' by P.D. James. A few months ago, I had mentioned to someone, whom I chat regularly at breakfast table in the office canteen, that Arthur Conan Doyle is the greatest crime writer. And the person had shook his head and advised me to read P.D. James. Frankly I had never heard of this writer. Anyway, I happened to spot a P.D. James book at my favourite bookshop and purchased it immediately. The book, The Unnatural Cases, tells a story of a crime finction writer, who is found dead, in a small boat, with both his hands cut. Police Superintendent Adam Dalgliesh, who happened to be on a holiday at the place of the crime, gets involved in the happenings after the handless body is found. It made for a very very good read. I must say I am hooked and am looking forward to reading more P.D. James books. The narration and the characters were so life-like and believable, and the motive for the murder, which I think is the backbone of any crime thriller, was just too good and believable. This book too was finished on a Friday night at 1:30 a.m. Some coincidence.

No comments: