Friday, December 01, 2006

Burning train and crazy mob


The Hindustan Times reports: Protests by various Dalit organisations to condemn the Kanpur statue desecration took an ugly turn in Ulhasnagar on Thursday with agitators in Ulhasnagar setting ablaze the Mumbai-bound Deccan Queen and two compartments of a Karjat local, despite the presence of the local police and the Government Railway Police (GRP).

The picture above is of Decccan Queen which was brunt.

It is really crazy. The protests after a shocking and condemnable happening are sometime more shocking and shameful. Yesterday it was one of such day. I was at office and was unaware of happenings at street just near my home. I came to know about events of stone-pelting, auto-rickshaw burning and shouting mobs from my neighbourers after I reached home. The watchman of the apartment building which I live, was beaten up by a mob of 15-20 persons. Poor man. He got beaten up for no fault of his. I find following quotes about mob apt about people's mentality in a mob:
Mob law is the most forcible expression of an abnormal public opinion; it shows that society is rotten to the core. --- Timothy Thomas Fortune
There can be no such thing, in law or in morality, as actions to an individual, but permitted to a mob. --- Ayn Rand

No comments: