Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Wittiest play

I am presently reading The Importance of Being Earnest by Oscar Wilde. It is generally considered as wittiest play in english language. I had read it numerous times and every time it is an enjoyable read. It is one of my wish to see this play on stage. If you have not heard about this play, which is unlikely, or have not read this play, which is likely, it is available online. Please do read it.

Here is a funny excerpt from the play:
CECILY. I keep a diary in order to enter the wonderful secrets of my life. If I didn’t write them down, I should probably forget all about them.

MISS PRISM. Memory, my dear Cecily, is the diary that we all carry about with us.

CECILY. Yes, but it usually chronicles the things that have never happened, and couldn’t possibly have happened. I believe that Memory is responsible for nearly all the three-volume novels that Mudie sends us.
Substitute diary with its modern version Blog, and it still make sense.

Cross-posted from my other blog Raju's world.

No comments: