Friday, March 31, 2006

More Ogden Nash

During this month, I was forced to visit a dentist, nor for me, thankfully, but for my son's dental problem. We have to wait and wait until our turns comes. Is there any other place in the world which is more depressing than the waiting room of a dentist? In the good old days, the waiting room used to have old copies of Women's Era or such magazines. Nowdays they seems to have been improved, I mean the waiting rooms, to having a colour televisions.

I was curious to see if good old Ogen Nash has written something about dentist. And he has! The peoem is titled `This is going to hurt just a little bit'. Ogden is really a genuis. As usual, this peom is also still under copy right so I could not quote the whole poem, but very funny lines are:
One thing I like less than most things is sitting in a dentist chair with my mouth wide open.

And that I will never have to do it again is a hope that I am against hope hopan.

Because some tortures are physical and some are mental,
But the one that is both is dental.

................

And your mouth is like a section of road that is being worked on

And it is cluttered up with stone crushers and concrete mixers and drills and steam rollers and there isn't a nerve on your head that aren't being irked on.

...............

And this O Fate, is I think the most vicious that thou ever sentest,

That Man has to go continually to the dentist to keep his teeth in good condition

When the chief reason he wants his teeth to be in good condition is so that he won't have to go the dentist.
Our next appointment is on April 17. I will take copies of this poem along with me and give one copy each to the unforutnate people waiting for their teeth to be worked on!

No comments: