Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Five Pancham Songs

Though I like almost all the songs composed by my favourite Rahul Dev Burman, there are few songs which are closer to my heart. The following are the five songs which I cannot live without. If they happen to play on the radio, I just stop and listen. No need to mention that they are very much on my iPod. I do not know why I am partial to these songs. Thank you Panchamda for composing such beautiful songs for us.

So here go the list :
  • Kitne Bhi Tu Karle Sitam (from movie Sanaam Teri Kasam). Though the Kishoe Kumar version of this song is famous, I personally like the Asha Bhosle version of the song. I read somewhere that Panchamda, whose hobby was cooking, was at home of this song's lyricist, Gulshan Bawra. Pancham was in the kitchen learning from Mrs Bawra how to cook a particular dish, while Mrs Bawra was humming a tune. Pancham liked the tune and inspired by this tune, had made this song. Sanam Teri Kasam won for RD his first of the three Filmfare Awards. Superb song.

  • Poochho na yaar kya huwa from movie Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai. This song is sung by Asha Bhosle and Mohd. Rafi. It is a great song. It is sung beautifully, and tune of the song is just mesmerising.

  • Kuchh to log kahenge from the movie Amar Prem. This movie had unforgettable songs Chingari koi bhadke, Yeh kya hua, kaise hua, Raina beeti jaaye. But I personally like Kuch to log kahenge. Its lyrics are simple and meaningful, and is sung so well by Kishoe Kumar.

  • Jis gali mein tera ghar na from the movie Kati Patang, also had so many unforgetable songs Na koi umang hai, na koi tarang hai, Pyar diwana hota hai, Yeh jo mohabbat hai, Yeh sham mastani, but this song, which is sung by with such a feelings by Mukesh is my favourite. It is a sad song, and has beautiful words.

  • piyaa tuu ab to aa jaa from movie Caravan. It is a fantastic song, and very famous too. Nothing more need to be said about this song. The video of this song is below. Notice the fabulous prelude and interlude pieces in the song. It is sung by Asha Bhosle and RD himself, and lyrics are by Majrooh.


Today is the World Music Day. This is my small tribute to Panchamda who has given me so many moments of joy, by just listening to his wonderfule songs. I will do a longer post on his 67th birthday, which is on June 27.

2 comments:

Kusum Rohra said...

You have been tagged :)

Carol said...

You're music is different than the popular Canadian music. Thanks for sharing yours.